Right now I'm living in Illinois, and it's snowing like a MO FO. We're expecting 7-10 inches today.
I think after 4 years of living in Chicago, I've built an appreciation for Florida, and here's why:
- No Snow Storms of any kind. A freak flurry, maybe, but anything but inches of snow.
- No frozen pipes. Just this morning I was without any kind of water for more than an hour.
- Never without A/C. Here in Chicago, where every building is about 50 years or over, we don't have Central Cooling Systems. We have these dinky little window A/C units that aren't worth a damn. In the magical land of Florida, most buildings are new and have Central Cooling, most importantly, apartments.
- No crazy city traffic. I have a slight phobia of being in a car, so traffic drives me nuts. I used to think Florida was bad. NEVER. AGAIN.
- Real beaches. Chicago says they have a "beach". It's a rocky sand strip in front of a devastatingly polluted lake. PEOPLE REALLY SWIM THERE! It's so gross...
- Close to family and friends. I didn't appreciate that it took me less than an hour drive to visit any friend I wanted. Took me 15 minutes to go see my sister and her kids. Now I'm lucky if I see them once a year.