Mar 15, 2013

When Did I Get Obsessed With Hannibal?


I think the first time I saw a Hannibal Lecter movie was when I was a high school freshman. It was "Silence of The Lambs". I watched the movie probably not even realizing there was a book or that it was the second film in the series. I don't think I even saw the whole thing, but it left me very intrigued. So a couple years later, when the subject of Hannibal came up, I decided to rent all 4 movies in 'chronological' order in that universe; Hannibal Rising to Hannibal.

I came to a verdict pretty quickly that the character of Hannibal Lecter was not only unforgettable, but I empathized deeply with him, and even kinda thought the young version of him was a bit attractive. In any case, I rewatch the films on an annual basis it seems, but I've never read any of the books. I've decided that should change this year, and here's why:



NBC is turning the novel 'Red Dragon' into a series (hopefully there will be an audience larger than just me to keep it going). The promos have looked promising, and the final trailer above solidified my want to see it. I'm not too thrilled with the choice of Hannibal because:

  1. He isn't Anthony Hopkins, but who is?
  2. He lacks the quirky fun / insanity vibe I got from the film version of Lecter.
But, I do approve of the actor for the sole reason I'm glad they didn't pick some 'hot' actor who we are too comfortable seeing everywhere. This role needs to be someone sexy in the brain, aged and rough around the edges, and who we aren't too familiar with.

Have you seen any of the Hannibal Movies? Read any of the books? Looking forward to the show? Tell me what you think, readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment