Apr 11, 2013

When Did I Start To Hate Marriage?

No, this is not a sign my marriage with my husband James is falling apart. This has to do with another marriage; my parents. And this isn't a new issue; we're talking 20 years.

So I'm sure you've read by now that I have a pretty nice pair of parents. My mom is my boss where I work, and my dad works at central offices for the public school system in the city. Both are in their early 50's and have been married for a little longer than I've been alive (20 years). Both of them have a daughter from a previous marriage, and I'm their only kid together.

Since I can remember, and we're talking me around 6 or 7 years old, my parents have argued, fought, separated, and even divorced only to get right back together. When things are good between them, it's heaven, and likewise, when they are bad, it's hell. They have these "fights" that can last a day or can go for a month or more. The word "divorce" is thrown around like a feather instead of like lead as it should be.

Growing up like this, needless to say, is and was not fun. Always in a state of uncertainty and being a ball of nerves waiting for the next argument to start. Now that I'm older, I can clearly see the effect it had on me through my anxiety attacks.
Now I'm an adult, though still living with my parents until the end of this year, and nothing has changed. A week ago, my parents were golden. They went out to the movies, dinner, and hung out in the living room all night. This week, it's like someone dropped a nuke. Everyone is catty, snarky, and irrational. These all start with PERCEIVED issues or slights. They don't even take the time to think about what they're doing.

So now I'm married and I'm trying to be none of the bad things my parents are. Don't get me wrong, they love each other very much I'm sure, but they are way too volatile for one another. I just want a peaceful marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment