Aug 16, 2013

Geek Out: Orange Is The New Black

Welcome to Geek Out! Let's talk about the Netflix Original Series, Orange Is The New Black. This series premiered on Netflix July 11th, 2013. Yesterday I saw the first episode out of late night curiosity. I went in with pretty high expectations, as the other Netflix Original Series I had watched was Hemlock Grove. Hemlock Grove was an eerie, slow burn, science-fiction tragedy that I enjoyed immensely. The episode was one hour long and I found myself completely content with my decision to watch this series from start to finish.

So, what is Orange Is The New Black about? According to IMDBThe story of Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling/Argo), a woman in her thirties who is sentenced to 15 months in prison after she is convicted of a decade old crime of transporting money for her drug dealing girlfriend (Laura Prepon/That 70's Show). Now, I'm only 1 episode in, but there are a lot of interesting characters, which are always referred to in prison by their last name or nickname. The big twist at the end of the first episode (It's a spoiler but come on it came out almost 2 months ago) is that the drug dealing girlfriend is in the same prison as Piper. Shocker!

Why is this Geek Out worthy? I have this thing, where if I'm not wholeheartedly into a series, book, movie, or game, then I'm simply not going to waste my time. So anything I do watch, read, listen to, or play is something I'm a huge fan of. I'm apart of its fandom. So if I'm telling you about this, it's geeky to me. Plus the cast reads a ton of books, so they must be geeky.


Well put. Good lesson for all of us. Have you watched Orange Is The New Black? Did you like it? Why or why not? Comments are always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment